MWC 2011 Announcements (with videos)
February 14, 2011 1 Comment
The press release has been already been released, even though the conference has only just started. The ‘NoDo’ update has been confirmed for early March.
Several new features have been announced for 2011:
• Copy and paste functionality via first major update, coming in the next month
• Twitter integration directly into the People Hub in 2011
• Support for Office documents in the cloud in 2011
• Dramatically enhanced Web browser experience based on IE9 in 2011
• A new wave of multitasking applications in 2011
• Targeting significant volume of Nokia Windows Phones in 2012
IE 9 mobile was demonstrated and since it uses hardware acceleration, it was a very smooth experience.
Multitasking will also be available, making it easy to flick between apps. Switching between apps is very quick and you can hold down the back button to bring up the app-switcher view, allowing you to quickly choose what app to load without having to keep pressing ‘back’.
Thanks to 1800PocketPC for the multitasking video below:
3rd party music apps will also be able to play music in the background so users can now use 3rd party apps to listen to music and continue using their phone.
There was also a demo of Kinect being used with Windows Phone 7:
A key statement made was that these were only some, not all, of the features coming this year (in a free update). Windows Phone 7 is really bringing the features!